Our Family

Our Family
Fall 2015 - These are my people

Monday, March 5, 2012

Solveig Sofia...Born Still

After a very long hiatus from blogging, I now have great reason to return. The need to process the grief which my dear man and I are facing is overwhelming, and I'd like to do some of that through my blog.


Dear friends,

Our daughter Solveig Sofia was born still on February 29th, 2012, weighing just 3 lbs. 11 oz., and measuring 18 in. long. She was about 33.5 weeks of gestational age at the time of her death inside my womb. The cause of her death was the umbilical cord wrapped tightly around her tiny body...three times around her neck, around her arms and her midsection, and also holding in it a true knot. We were glad to at least have a reason for her death, albeit an extremely difficult one, as many do not have that type of knowledge. But after seeing our precious girl following her delivery, we looked at her sweet body and saw how perfectly formed she had been. There was nothing else wrong with her, that we are aware of. That part is really hard to think about. She could have been completely viable outside of my body at this stage in the pregnancy, but the cord got in the way. We will not have all the answers here on Earth. I so want to know why, and I find myself asking God. But I know that when we get to Heaven one day and we are reunited with Solveig, we will also be joined with our Savior Jesus Christ and we will be able to ask Him all about what happened.

This is just the first of what I imagine will be many installments to come...stay tuned...

And thank you for all of your love and prayers. We have felt completely surrounded by the Body of Christ through all of this and we know that the Lord loves us immensely, as He loved Solveig.

4 comments:

Amy Sharon said...

this is beautiful, mel. you exude His peace. i know I'll be tuning in! I love you!

Shanta said...

Dearest Melody. I am aching for you every day. I know from growing up with a mother who had lost a child that this is not something you "get over". It will be more like learning to live with an open wound that will slowly close over and leave you to live with a deep scar. By honoring your immense grief, you honor your daughter. It won't hurt this much forever.

I graduated from college on the 22nd anniversary of my sister's death. My mom made it, and you will too! All my love.

Karlynn said...

Mel, I'm SO proud of you to start blogging again. Such a difficult thing to do when you've been through this kind of pain. You have many who love you and are continuing to pray for you...me included. :) Blogging is something I stopped doing too over the last several months but you've inspired me to start again too. Love you, dear friend.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. One day we will all be reunited with our sweet babies. Sending you love and comfort!