Our Family

Our Family
Fall 2015 - These are my people

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Outfits and Blankets

Ever since we had Solveig nine weeks ago today, I have felt the need to take action and do something to help other people who have gone through the loss of a baby.  One thing that I wrote about before was how special it was for us to have a special outfit and blanket for our baby.  I also purchased duplicates of those items so that I will always have the duplicates with me to help remember Solveig.

I was lucky to have the time to go out and find these items, but many expectant parents have no forewarning that their little one is going to die and thus certainly don't have time to go out shopping.  Or maybe they don't have the energy to go and get something.  Maybe they don't have the funds to purchase these special items.  Whatever the case, there are people who don't have special outfits or blankets for their babies after they die, and they might not have a lot of options at the hospital they are in.  Some hospitals have a few items that have been donated but they can probably always use more.  Our hospital did have a few outfits and hats that had been donated...but I can honestly say that the outfits weren't things that I would probably choose.  I sort of feel bad even admitting that, but it's true.  People have different ideas about what is beautiful and suitable for them and their babies, so it would be nice to provide a variety of lovely options and then let the family have their choice of what they would like.

All of this to say, I really would like to start collecting new, beautiful baby blankets and outfits in preemie and newborn sizes to donate to the hospital where we had our Solveig for people like us who are experiencing stillbirth/antenatal death or postnatal death of an infant.  And I'd like to try to donate these in pairs, so that there is a duplicate outfit and blanket for the parents to take with them if they plan to have their baby buried in that outfit as we did.

I don't really know how to go about this, but if you're reading this and you feel led to participate in this effort, please let me know.  Perhaps a non-profit thing will come from this...or maybe just a small sized effort. :)  Regardless, I know that I intend to donate outfits and blankets in pairs to the hospital in honor of our little Solveig.  Maybe that will be one of the ways that we commemorate her birthday each year...or more!

I'm looking forward to going back to the maternity floor with bags full of outfits and blankets. :)  I think that will be healing...

4 comments:

Houseofmills said...

That is a really neat idea. Especially the whole idea of on her birthday donating to the hospital. What a cool idea. If you need help, I would love to pick out clothes, blankets or even just give you a donation and you can do the picking out. Great idea Melody!

FrancoPepeKalle said...

Do not worry. You are one blessed lady. You will do a good job making a non-profit organization that will make blankets, clothes, and others for those who lost a baby. Have a blessed day.

Unknown said...

Great Idea Melody! I know Alot of hospitals have blanks for preemies that die, our did not. Thank goodness that we brought one. I love the duplicate idea!!!! I took Jonathan's blanket and I wailed and cried that night that he was alone in the cold hospital without his blanket. Of coarse now I am glad I have it, but it was very disturbing to me to think of him without it. I want to do something also but I don not know what yet, Have you seen lily wraps her blankets are Amazing a really a great price!

The Kimmels said...

Awesome idea. I know there are a few organizations in place that may be able to help you out. www.projectsweetpeas.com donates things like you mentioned and they have a lot of local divisions. There are lots more out there, please let me know if you would like any more suggestions. jana.teenytears@gmail.com. I am also involved in a project that donates flannel diapers for preemies and micropreemies who have passed away. It has been SO healing for me to do this project. www.teenytears.blogspot.com if you are interested :)