Our Family

Our Family
Fall 2015 - These are my people

Monday, July 9, 2012

More Conversations With Kids

The family table is a great place to share conversations.  Sometimes the conversations are about very simple, surface like topics.  But there are times that the conversations dig much deeper.  Today at lunch,  we were talking about Solveig after the kids brought her up.  I love it when they bring her up...when ANYONE brings her up. :)  I like to think of her and to talk about her.

So today, Bug was talking about how she couldn't wait to see Solveig in Heaven and to see how much she had grown.  I said, "we don't know how big she'll be when we meet her in Heaven.  That will be interesting to find out."  Bug said, "I think she will have grown taller!"  Buzz said, "I want Solveig to gwow and gwow and gwow!" (he cannot say his r's right now at age 4 - it's really cute)

Then Buzz said, "but I don't know if Solveig will be in Heaven."

I thought about this.  And of course, after discussing this matter with lots of people now including our pastor, I know that the Bible does not say for sure if babies are in Heaven.  But when we met with our pastor He affirmed that it all comes down to remembering the character of God...that He is a loving, just and merciful God.  There are lots of scriptures from the Bible that speak of children being loved by Jesus...that "the kingdom of God belongs to such as these," etc.  So it seems to make sense to our earthly minds that babies ought to be there, since even though they are born with a sin nature they have not yet had a chance to commit an earthly sin.

But Buzz was puzzled by the idea that he didn't know for sure where his sister would be.

I reminded him that I believe without a doubt that our baby Solveig is there.  And I told him about how God had given me a vision awhile back about Solveig, dancing and playing on the streets of gold.  He smiled as he thought about that, and so did my Bug.  It makes me smile too.

Buzz pondered some things a bit more and then said, "we will have to take a car to Heaven."

I said, "What makes you think that?"

He said, "because I don't wanna have to walk vewy wong!!!" (translation - very long)

Bug replied, "you don't have to walk you silly goose!  Jesus lifts you up!"

This brought joy to my heart and tears to my eyes...the image of Jesus lifting us to Heaven...the image of Him lifting my Solveig to Heaven...

I look forward to that day.  For now, I am here to keep being a mama to my sweet children and a wife to my precious Erik...roles that I love and I'm so grateful to have.

And I'll always be Solveig's mommy...always.


3 comments:

Jessica said...

How Awesome that you got the chance to discuss Heaven with your kids. I know too that our babies are there. <3

Unknown said...

Love this!:)you are so right the family table is the perfect place to answer the questions of our children s hearts!

Johanna Lamb =) said...

Melody- thanks for sharing your beautiful conversation and the sage insights that were such an encouragement to your children.
As I reflected on my son's birthday today I thought of precious Baby Solveig up in heaven. I don't know how the eternal timeline works but I knew she was up there in the arms of Jesus and one day she and Thomas would be able to play together.
I have followed your posts on Facebook since your post at 30 weeks. We prayed for Solveig before and after her birth. She and Thomas were the same birth weight. I remember what it felt like to hold this impossibly small baby in my arms.
Your precious baby girl is still in my prayers and she IS in heaven looking down at us and waiting to welcome us with open arms.