Our Family

Our Family
Fall 2015 - These are my people

Monday, May 12, 2008

Very Inspired...

For many months now, off and on, I have been reading an excellent book by Pastor Jim Cymbala of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Church. It is called "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire." (I didn't know how to underline the title...) Usually after I finish reading a segment in the book, I don't know what to do! The book has spurred something in my soul and has made me realize the importance of living boldly for my faith in Jesus Christ. It has made me see the importance of our churches (and us in our own lives) being so much more open to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Cymbala talks about not being so tied down to a timed schedule for a service, and not that the service should then be completely without schedule or chaotic, but just that we ought to be more sensitive to the Spirit's leading in our services. That really got to me. There are SO many churches that are so rigid in planning, and I think that EVERY church should read this book and let it be a starting point for conversations and changes in how to lead a service, how to worship, how to follow the Spirit more than following what WE think ought to take place. This type of thinking could seriously revolutionize our churches...the "dead" and "alive" churches could potentially have more life if they would stop what they're doing, pray, and seek the leading of the Holy Spirit.

That's my thought for the day. I don't quite know where to take it, but I thought that blogging about it might be a good start.

1 comments:

Shan in Japan said...

Amen! You think the American churches are rigid...
I read that book several years ago and have wanted to re-read it, thanks for the inspiration! His wife has written a good book, too, "He's Been Faithful" with a CD attached. Check it out, too!:)
The choir-well some of them-came to Japan last year. That was what really got me excited about joining the gospel choir and hunting for one here.
Keep reading and searching:)
Love ya!