Our Family

Our Family
Fall 2015 - These are my people

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sewing Frenzy!!!

A couple of months ago, I decided that I wanted to start sewing again! I hadn't used a sewing machine since high school, so it seemed a completely overwhelming task. My sweet Grammie wanted me to have her sewing machine - the one that she used to sew MANY quilts! When she passed away I was only eight years old, and the machine that she had willed to me eventually made it back to my parents' home many years later. For many years I thought about taking out the machine to use it, and this is the year that both time and inspiration have come together to make it possible. Because I felt like I needed to have a refresher in how to sew, I decided to take some classes through our local fabric store. First I took an introductory class, and it was helpful to re-learn the basics. Then today I took a HUGE leap and went to part one of a box cushion making class. Whoa...it was really challenging! But the wonderful teacher for the class is really helpful and willing to stay late to help us students. My project that I'm making is not a simple box cushion but rather a trapezoid shaped window seat pillow for our music room area. When I'm all finished with it, I'll have to post some pictures.

Also today, we had the privilege of seeing some friends from college who were in town. Love you J & R! It's always wonderful to catch up with friends that I haven't seen in a long time.

And alas, it has been yet another long stretch since I last wrote. I just find that I'm better at using Fa_ceb_ook than doing the blog. Perhaps I can get on a blogging stretch now! :)

Blessings to you all.

1 comments:

Lacinda said...

That's great that you're sewing! I inherited Chris's grandma's sewing machine a few years ago and have been trying to make use of it. I'm not very good at sewing, but it's something I hope to learn more of. I have made a couple of aprons for the kids which turned out pretty well, but not much other than that. I'd love to see pictures when you've finished your projects!